Translate

Sunday, March 14, 2010

A Little Tale About The Farmer's Market On A Thursday...

Lately, I have been running to Farmer's Market at the Ferry Building a ton. My friend Lori tipped me off about a scone and a cookie I just needed to taste. So a few Thursday's ago I visited Louie and Luis at the Arlequin booth and ordered up the Chocolate Cherry Cookie and one of the last Formage Blanc, Fig Honey Glaze Scones and was in an immediate state of bliss. I went over to Kate and Katie at Blue Bottle's Kiosk and shared my cookie. They were easily seduced as well. Kate suggested I come back to the market again for the Porchetta Sandwich (RoliRoti) at lunchtime.

I persuaded my admin Rita to do a long walk from the office around noontime. We waited patiently for The RoliRoti truck experience. Oh boy, was it ever! It is a mobile rotisserie grill. And the "meat man," Mr. Thomas Odermatt was such fun to watch, as he led a staff of happy, enthusiastic workers. I wanted to hop behind the line myself and start slicing the succulent cuts of meat cooked to Odermatt perfection. Upon further research, I discovered that it is in his blood. His dad was a Master Butcher in the Swiss Alps and taught him all his secrets. Like how to choose the right meats and the importance of cutting it in just the right way. Dang! Rita and I were floored and loving every minute. We sat next to my buddy Walter, who just happened to be dining with a co-worker. Man, that taste still is easy to recall. The crunch was so memorable. And the potatoes too.

Oh, I almost forgot to mention- The real Korean "tacos" we got from namu. This ssam style "taco," is seasoned rice, kalbi short ribs, daikon and kimchee salsa, kimchee remoulade, housemade teriyaki folded into japanese and korean toasted seaweeds. 2 for $5. They were pretty radical I must say.

I ended up skipping dinner that night and for good reason. You see, I stopped to see my bud Jake at Humphry Slocombe Ice Cream. He put hot fudge sauce on some Chocolate with Smoked Sea Salt Ice Cream and I about fell over. It was habit-forming. In fact I had it yesterday after boxing class. Isn't that ironic?

No comments:

Post a Comment