Translate

Sunday, October 25, 2009

There is no such thing as a "school night" when you live here

15 Romolo

The Original Emmy's Spaghetti Shack


City life offers so much temptation. I am a real sucker for good drinks and good eats. The week offered me many indulgences. A friend rolled into town on Wednesday from New York City. To celebrate, we went to eat off Barry's new menu at Emmy's Spaghetti Shack. We shared and devoured the Arugula, Pear & Crispy Speck with Blue Cheese Crostini and Caramelized Shallots. The Grilled Polenta with Sautéed Mushrooms and Mascarpone drizzled with Truffle Honey was screaming. And my Pappardelli with Cremini Mushrooms, Walnuts & Pancetta in a light Parmesan Sauce about floored me. My friend Chris wouldn't shut up about his Grilled Iron Flat Steak with Sautéed Kale, & Mashed Potatoes & Balsamic Reduction. So, I made him cut me a sliver and I died!!

And then it was Thursday and the same cast of characters met at 15 Romolo in North Beach. It was my first visit and I fell immediately in love with the space. Especially the old newspaper from 1974 wallpapered in the men's room. 15 Romolo features original cocktails and some fares known to be shared. I believe I tried and enjoyed all the bourbon ones like their fiscal agent which consisted of bourbon, green chartreuse, sweet vermouth, maraschino liqueur and cacao nib tincture. Holy atomic pile, Batman! And the rio grande definitely had the civil war theme with it's siete leguas reposado, old grand dad bonded 100pf bourbon, lemon, lime and chili-sugar-salt rim. On to the fare where the chicken wings and the pork sliders just stand out. Even the heirloom tomato salad and the burger are handcrafted and done so well that you don't want to share.

The evening and visit with my friend came to a close but only after a nightcap at Michael Mina. They have a great lounge menu and cocktail list. I went gaily forward to the SAN FRANCISCO SAZERAC with Old Potrero Straight Rye Whiskey, Peychaud's Bitters. It's served neat in a St. George Distillery Absinthe-Scented glass with peel of lemon. It was hard for Chris not to point out how much he misses the indulgences that San Francisco both provides and influences. I guess you don't know about a good thing till you're gone from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment